Materials science is a multidisciplinary field that explores the nature of matter and its applications in various fields of science and engineering such as physics, chemistry, as well as metallurgical, civil and electronic engineering. In materials science, scientist is not only seeking for material and exploiting its properties, but also aiming to understand the material fundamentally and acquiring new materials with desirable qualities. The basis of materials science is to link material properties and performance in certain applications to the structure of atoms, molecules and material phases obtained through the process of characterization.
The Materials Science Program (Materials Science) has been established since 1983, endorsed by the decree of the implementation of Master and Doctoral program no: 577 / DIKTI / Kep / 1993. This Study Program adheres to the integration of education / teaching and research conducted with a balanced portion of time. Therefore, cooperation with research institutions, industries and universities, both domestic and foreign, become a priority.
The provision of the Implementation of Doctoral Program at the University of Indonesia is stipulated in the Rector Decree No. 2200 of 2013, which is renewed in the Decree of Rector No. 6, 2016. Since the academic year of 2015/2016, the Doctoral Program of Materials Science held two Programs namely Doctoral Program by Research and Course and by Research based on the Rector Decree no. 1803 A / SK / R / UI / 2015.
To become Doctorate of Materials Science Program with international standard, by playing an active role on education, research, and becoming centre of innovation in materials science and its application, while maintaining environmental sustainability for the benefits of humanity.
- Conduct education to bear graduates with high morals who acquire competency in materials science and technology amd are able to compete in international world.
- Conduct research and create new research groups, in order to bear graduates who are capable to conduct research activities and innovations in Materials Science, including specialization fields: metal and alloy, ceramics, polymer, electronic and magnetic materials, and composite materials, as well as spread the result to in order to move forward Materials Science.
- Educate students to become decision-maker individual in various field which are related to materials science and become capable to be independent with reliable entrepreneurship passion and soul.
- Conduct professional services in order to improve public welfare through utilization of materials science while maintaining environmental sustainability.
Doctorate in Materials Science by Course and Research Program aims to produce graduate who are capable to produce innovative and original independent research creation that are acknowledged by international materials community as results of materials science and technology development that are beneficial for humanity.
- Capable to formulate solutions to problems that are related to science and technology of materials, by applying multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches.
- Capable to design independent research according to scientific ethics.
- Capable to present research result in national and international materials communities.
- Capable to create new knowledge and technologies that are useful for humanities.